Sun City West
- Sun City West
Sun City West began construction in 1978 as the second Del Webb retirement community building out by 1997 with over 31,000 residents. While it is not an incorporated city, like the rest of the Del Webb Sun City communities, Sun City West looks more like a city than a development with shopping, medical and most other services mixed into the neighborhood.
Sun City West Visitors Center
13823 Camino del Sol
Sun City West, AZ 85375
- Fitness Centers
- Miniature Golf
- 4 Recreation Complexes
- Readily-available Medical Care
- Outdoor Concerts
- 3 Grocery Stores
- 30-Lane Bowling Alley
- 7 Rec. Center Golf Courses
- 2 Public Golf Courses
- Club Memberships
- Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center
- 40,000 Volume Libra
Lake Pleasant is 22 miles to the north. Downtown Phoenix and PHX Sky Harbor Airport is about a 35 mile drive.
The Arrowhead Towne Center, the major shopping center is about 8 miles east of Sun City West. Two multi-screen movie theaters with stadium seating are also nearby along with many nationally known restaurants.
Two hours north is the red rock country of Sedona and Flagstaff is a three hour drive. The Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, and the Navajo and Hopi Indian reservations are within a day's visit.
Tucson is about three hours drive to the south with Mexico about five hours away.
- Single Family Dwellings
- The majority of SCW homes ranging from 920 sq. ft. to more than 3,500-sq. ft. with large lots, small lots, golf course lots and some homes in neighborhood associations which handle landscaping and other services for a monthly fee. Prices range from $100,000 to more than $500,000 depending on age, size and location.
- Side-by-side units, each individually owned and ranging from 1,200 sq. ft. to more than 2,000-sq. ft. Prices range from $95,000 to $220,000.
- Garden Apartments (condos)
- Several units attached in a row that range from 700 to 1,400-sq. ft., individually owned and priced from $70,000 to $120,000.
- Additional Housing Options
- Grandview Terrace
- Luxurious condos in a six-story building complete with dining, indoor pool, walking track, craft and clubrooms and an active calendar of events.
- The Madison
- Apartment style living with "the details of daily life taken care of so that you may enjoy your retirement years to the fullest."
- The Heritage Tradition
- Independent living in luxurious, resort-style apartments, patio homes with private garages, heated pools... "the finest in elegant Assisted Living".
- Grandview Terrace
Fees, Taxes and Cost of Living
Asset Preservation Fee
Assessed on all first-time home purchases in SCW, these monies fund capital improvements and minor maintenance of recreation centers and other community-owned facilities. The buyer also pays a Resale Transfer Fee.
Annual Recreation Center Fee
All property owners pay for membership in the Rec. Center Association. Golf and bowling fees are paid when participating. A consolidated list of Recreation Center Fees can be found at .
Estimated Living Expenses
Based on 1,600 sq. ft. two-person household in SCW (2015), estimated monthly expenses would be (does not include Rec. Center fees):
- Real Estate Taxes = $67
- Insurance = $38
- Water & Sewer = $46
- Trash Collection (2/week) = $14
- Electricity ² = $158
- Gas ² = $40
- Telephone = $30
- Basic Cable Television = $80
- High Speed Internet = $45
- TOTAL = $518
¹ The majority of SCW homes do NOT pay school takes because they are not in a school district.
² SCW homes utilize either an "electric heat pump" for both heating and cooling or a natural gas heat system and an air conditioner. Solar power is also available and could reduce the electric cost substantially.
There is a 6.3% sales tax in Sun City West on most purchases. There is no sales tax on groceries.
Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions
Among the key CC&Rs that Sun City West property owners are to follow are:
- One member of the household must be at least 55 years of age and no one under the age of 19 may reside in SCW. Visiting children may stay a maximum of 90 days in one year.
- No motor home, boat, RV, trailer, bus or commercial vehicle may be parked at a residence for more than a total of 72 hours in any one month, and may not be used as living quarters at any time. (Note: a secured storage area is available for Sun City and Sun City West residents at a very reasonable fee.)
- Shrubs, trees, grass and plantings must be kept neatly trimmed, free of trash, weeds and other unsightly materials at all times.
- All properties must be kept in good repair and adequately painted. Carports and garages must be kept in a tidy manner if visible from the street.
- Only generally recognized household pets are permitted. Maricopa County leash laws apply.
- Residential properties may not be used to conduct business.
- No storage buildings, sheds or other structures may be erected.
Sun City West is an unincorporated community, not a city. It does not have the usual city government structure. Maricopa County provides street maintenance, building and zoning codes, law enforcement and public health services.
Two organizations manage community affairs:
- Outdoor Amenities
- Bicycle Friendly
- Golf Course
- Lap Pool
- Lawn Bowling
- Swimming Pool
- Tennis Courts
- Walking Paths / Trails
- Walking Pool